What is HypnoBirthing?
HypnoBirthing is a holistic approach to birth preparation. It is based on the philosophy that modern mothers must prepare emotionally, as well as physically to achieve a gentle, natural birth. Instead of teaching people how to cope with the pain of labour as most other classes do, we look to the cause of pain, and focus on reducing or even eliminating it at the source.
Mothers use a range of techniques to work with their body, harnessing the body’s own natural painkillers which are many times stronger than morphine. The techniques help you achieve your best birth, whether you are planning to have a home birth, a hospital birth, a natural birth or any of the other options available.
Birth partners are taught techniques to support the mother, and take an active part in the birth and birth-preparation.
What is taught?
During a series of 5 x 2 ½ hour classes you will learn:
- How the female body is perfectly designed to birth easily
- How fear affects labour and contributes to the Fear-Tension-Pain cycle
- How to prepare your body physically through diet and exercise
- Self-hypnosis and instant relaxation techniques
- Fear-release exercises to use alongside visualisations and affirmations
- Breathing techniques and labour positions to work with your birthing body
- Techniques for birth companions to support a birthing mother
- How to select and work with your midwifes and/or other birth professionals